7 Insider Tips to Get More Traffic From Search Engines
By Irina Weber
Let’s face it – generating traffic from search engines is hard work. It is much easier to buy traffic.
But we all know that organic traffic converts better so this is usually the primary goal for online marketers.
So how do you actually go about getting more organic traffic from search engines?
I’ve put together 7 helpful tips to do exactly that, let’s take a look at them one by one.
1. Create SEO optimized content
Nothing works better than a well-written, original and SEO optimized piece of content for your readers.
Write content that search engines can understand. The key factor is to create content based on a string of keywords that people are searching for.
But it is not so easy to make SEO optimized content as it includes many steps: keyword research, making content related to your top keywords and content promotion.
Keyword research is an especially significant process for SEO optimization as it can show you the most-searched queries people are using on Google. Whenever you create an article or a compelling piece of copy for your website, you must always figure out the most used keywords. Don’t use just short keywords, long-tail terms can also be valuable for your search rankings and help users find you.
Time to do the research
One of the best ways to review keywords is still with the Google Keyword tool. It’s free and gives you an overview about keywords with the most impressions. Reviewing what is “hot” also helps you understand better your target audience, what they want, and how to cater to their needs.
But there is one negative side of using the Google Keyword planner. It is a good tool at the early stages of a website’s SEO. However, as you go into more detailed keyword research, you should use one of the advanced tools.
I personally use SE Ranking keyword suggestion tool. Using this tool I select both short and long-tail keywords, comparing search volumes to figure out which search terms are searched more often and go deep on detailed statistics on the chosen keywords.
Plus, the tool can automatically analyze the Top 10 results and group keywords that match the same website’s URL.
As soon as you create a list of keywords, you should use them wisely throughout your content. Keywords must be placed in the most important parts of your page such as the main heading, subheadings, highlights and meta descriptions.
Note: Don’t use a lot of keywords in content as it may look unnatural and spammy.
Before posting content on your website, check your spelling and improve the writing with Grammarly.
2. Publish content on a regular basis
A few decades ago, Bill Gates announced that content is a king. I guess that you’ve heard that a lot.
Today good content is not enough anymore. It should be outstanding and much better than the content of your competitors.
You don’t need to create useless articles for the purpose of publishing something new. Quality and unique content will naturally catch new backlinks, social media shares and increase user engagement.
All articles should be related to your niche and targeted keywords.
Here are useful tips to consider when creating awesome content:
- Be original. Uniqueness and originality are always the winners. Be in constant search of new ideas and integrate them into your content.
- Pay attention to details and be specific. Make your articles easy for users to understand by providing valid information, resources and examples. Always respect the interests of your readers.
- Be relevant. Focus on your niche and create posts related to your niche. Be an expert at something as search engines love such mastery. Provide clear and accurate answers to questions in a proper way.
- Be logical. Always keep your site updated with fresh content that can attract people. If you are out of ideas, here are some great tips of where to get inspiration from. By the way, you can analyze your title quality and rate with the CoSchedule Headline Analyzer.
Stick to this strategy and you will be surprised how much traffic you can harvest.
3. Encourage quality links
Google always prioritizes websites with quality links and hates unnatural links. Try to encourage your users, friends, clients, partners and bloggers to provide links to your site. The more quality incoming links you get, the higher site rankings you will have.
Avoid buying backlinks for the sake of getting a top ranking result in Google as it can lead to Google penalties and negatively affect website positions in search. Getting natural backlinks can gain more organic traffic.
There are a lot of effective ways to get quality links to your website:
- Guest posting. Reach out to relevant websites in your niche and suggest quality content to them. You can include just a few links to your site or products without any hint of self-promotion.
- Build up a strong social media presence. Get more followers by sharing relevant and quality content and interact with your readers consistently. Update your social profiles with professionally designed pictures and cover photos.
- Find influencers in your niche. Figure out who are the influencers in your niche and what they are passionate about, create quality content relevant to their interests (case studies, infographics, interviews, etc) and aprroach the influential people in your niche with these materials.
- Offer. People love different discounts and good gifts, and in exchange you can ask them for a little favor – a link to your site.
- Comment on relevant forums and blogs. Create a list of forums and blogs related to your niche, add your thoughts and comments to discussions. Try to write useful and interesting comments with a link to your site to let people visit your platform.